Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Vice President of Finance will be responsible for oversight of all finance, accounting and reporting activities, and lead the day-to-day financial operations of a budget of over $40M with an additional $70M in donated and government-provided inventory.
The Vice President of Finance oversees the day-to-day operations of the Finance Department and is responsible for maintaining internal financial controls and implementation of accounting policies and procedures in compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, legal and statutory requirements. The Vice President of Finance will work closely with program leaders and their staffs, not only to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures but also to explore how the finance function can support program operations. This position will report to the Chief Financial Officer and provide day to day financial oversight of Food Bank’s operating and capital budgets.
Areas of responsibility include accounting, budgeting, investments, banking relations, cash management, payroll and employee benefits, grants and contract reporting, annual audit, monthly financial statements, capital projects reconciliation and maintenance of financial information systems.
* Responsible for directing day-to-day accounting functions and maintaining the accuracy and completeness of the financial records and the timely recording of all financial transactions, including payroll, disbursements, pledges, cash receipts, inventory, capital acquisitions, investment-related activity and necessary accruals and adjusting journal entries.
* Maintain all records in compliance to generally accepted accounting principles, organization’s accounting principles, policies and procedures, internal financial controls and initiatives.
* Maintain internal controls including that of inventory, procurement, payroll, receipts, disbursements and other processes.
* Oversee use of financial management systems and ancillary systems is compliant with internal control procedures. Oversee maintenance and enhancements of systems and maximize the efficient use for increased productivity
* Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; monitor progress and changes against budget
* Ensure proper allocation of shared costs
* Supervise the monitoring and remittance of employee benefits, including filing annual Form 5500 and administering vacation and other paid time-off policies
* Perform internal audits and assess effectiveness of internal controls
* Coordinate annual financial audit including Single Audit and provide auditors with necessary information for completion of Form 990 and NYS CHAR500. Provide necessary information for the completion of state charity registrations
* Conduct other analysis, duties and special projects as assigned
Strategic Analysis, Planning and Management Reporting
* Assist CFO in the preparation of annual budget, and monitor actual activity of progress compared to budget including performance against success indicators
* Prepare and update short-term and long-term cash flow projections
* Direct preparation of internal monthly financial reports and oversee variance reporting
* Oversee the grant and contract reporting
* Perform trend analysis
* Team Leadership
* Provide leadership of team results for high performance, morale and excellent customer/client service
* Help to develop and/or identify training programs to maximize and reach optimal individual and departmental goals
A mature leader with a minimum of seven years of accounting and finance experience, ideally beginning with a minimum of two years of public accounting audit experience, followed by experience gathering, evaluating and reporting financial information to multiple departments.
* Minimum of 7 years of experience as a Controller with oversight of operating budget of at least $30 million
* Public accounting experience with a minimum of 2 years audit experience required
* Minimum of five years of supervisory experience
* Experience with inventory control a plus
* Solid experience coordinating audit activities, managing reporting to multiple departments, budget development and analysis
* Highly motivated, innovative, independent and organized self-starter
* Ability to work with flexibility, efficiency, and enthusiasm
* Effective listening skills with intellectual curiosity
* Keen analytic and problem-solving skills which allows for strategic data interpretation versus simple reporting
* Strong interpersonal and communication skills with excellent oral, written and presentation skills.
* Able to effectively communicate key data, including presentations to senior management, board and other outside parties. Discretion and ability to handle confidential matters.
* Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers
* Excellent organizational skills with high attention to detail and follow-through
* Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations; advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software
* Enthusiastic leader with an emphasis on collaboration, supervision and team building
* Demonstrated commitment to Food Bank’s core values
* Demonstrated commitment to continuous process improvement
* Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in accounting and/or finance
* CPA and/or MBA preferred
Additional Application Instructions
Please submit your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]
for consideration. Thank you.
Careers.org gives you access to over a million jobs and career opportunities across the US including in New York. Find your perfect job and apply directly through a simply online application process